2 cans chopped green chiles (4 – 4.5 oz. each), undrained
1 cup yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic (2 cloves minced)
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup green salsa
1 cup red salsa
½ cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp black pepper
6 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 3 to 3.5 pounds)
2 cans black beans. Drain, but reserve liquid.
12 corn tortillas (6 inch), sliced into 1 inch strips
2½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
2 cups tomato, chopped
2 cups lettuce, chopped
½ cup sour cream
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp Tabasco or other hot sauce (OPTIONAL)
¼ cup green onion, finely sliced
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time; 4 hr.
Total Time: 4 hr., 20 min.
- Heat a large sauté to a medium temperature. Add olive oil and bring to temperature.
- Place in the onion and sauté pan until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add garlic and continue sautéing for one minute.
- Sprinkle the flour across the whole pan and toss until the vegetables are coated in the flour. The mixture will be dry.
- Add in the bean juice, red salsa, and green salsa, and bring to a boil. The vegetable mixture should come to a sauce-like consistency. If the sauce is too thick for your taste, add some water. If the sauce is too thin for your taste, add small amounts of flour until the sauce is the consistency you like.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Once the sauce has a good consistency, stir in the pepper, 1 can of green chiles, cumin, and Tabasco sauce (if using). Continue to cook for two minutes.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, spray the cooking surface with cooking spray. Spread the other can of green chiles across the bottom of the slow cooker. Layer, in order, half the tortilla strips, half the chicken, 1 cup of cheese, 1 can black beans, and half the vegetable sauce mixture into the slow cooker. Repeat all layers.
- Cover, and cook on low heat setting for 4 hours.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking, top casserole with the last ½ cup of cheese. Sprinkle sliced green onions over the cheese.
- Uncover, turn off heat, and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve on a lettuce bed and top with sour cream and tomato.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Calories from Fat: 120
Total Fat: 14.5 g
Carbohydrates: 36.5 g
Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 20 g
Cholesterol: 49 mg
Sodium: 800 mg